We’ve recently been asked to repair and replace these old & damaged weathervane sails and cardinal points. The top two, shown photographed on the ground, were bought from a county show around 30 years ago. The Hunter design was still in reasonably good condition as it had spent it’s life in a fairly sheltered location whereas the fly fisherman had been more exposed and had rusted badly before completely falling apart. In terms of materials, they were clearly of a good quality to start with as they’ve lasted this long, however they didn’t balance well due to the difference in weight at the front and back of the design, therefore may not have spun into the wind particularly well. The owner of these two weathervanes wanted us to come up with similar designs, and produce the same style of weathervane sail as a replacement (the cardinal points are apparently still in good condition so are staying put). So we’ve produced two new designs in the dinstinctive Black Fox style, to which the customer asked for a couple of minor alterations and then we were good to go. In order to get over the problem of the sails not balancing, we cut the Hunter and fisherman in 3 mm steel, but the fish and dog in 5 mm steel. This allows the animals with smaller surface area to act as an arrow, balancing the piece so that it spins into the wind. The customer had mentioned that he liked the shorter style of scrolls as shown on the original fishing weathervane, which I was able to use as a rough template when forging the new ones. Rather than using flat bar to replace like for like, we forged the new scrolls from 10mm square bar. I just did this by eye rather than spending time producing a jig; it didn’t seem worthwhile to only produce 4 scrolls. They seem to all be a pretty good match; though there was a lot of working out to do in this project, we’re really pleased with how these replacement weathervane sails look now.
The third image shows a weathervane with cardinal points designed and made by our customer 25 – 30 years ago. We actually really like the style of this; the circular design in the centre of the cardinal points looks verystylish and original, and also adds strength to the bars. While this part was in pretty good condition, the letters had all but disintigrated. The image in the bottom right corner shows what was left of the letters themselves! So the first job was to cut off the old letters, and try to strip as much of the paint from the bars as possible so it wouldnt affect the new finish. He’d clearly done a really good job of painting it as this took a combination of wire brushing, sanding, sand blasting and finally being pickled in acid for the weekend before the new letters could be welded on and the electroplate / powder coat finish applied. The original sail, also designed and cut by the customer, had been a cyclist painted bright yellow. In recent years this had rusted and fallen apart, and so needed to be completely replaced. The customer asked for a design based on Swallows, to match the sign we produced for them a couple of years ago. The photo shows the whole piece outside our workshop, ready to be plated & powdercoated.